Wednesday, March 19, 2014

POETRY AND POLITICS

I don't think I understand either one.  Let me first talk about Poetry.  Now that I'm older I have to say I understand poems better.  I remember when I was in highschool, there was this English teacher who loved Poetry.  When she would read a poem out loud  to the class her eyes would flutter and role back.  She would say, "Listen to these words, aren't they beautiful?"...I can't remember any one particular poem, I just remember thinking to myself, "I don't know what the hell this poem means."  What made me think about poems was.... I watched a documentary on Stevie Nicks.  The way she wrote songs was to grab her book on poetry and then add music and melody.  Of course Stevie Nicks is not the only person that uses poetry to write a song.  I guess songs can be lumped into 2 groups.  Songs that tell a story or Songs with a bunch of words that don't make sense.  Ain't that right BEATLES?  Come Together "He bag production, he got walrus gumboot, He got ono sideboard, he one spinal cracker." .... How about I Am The Walrus "I am the eggman, They are the eggmen, I am the Walrus Goo goo g' joob"....Getting back to Stevie Nicks, probably my favorite song is On The Edge Of Seventeen... I catch myself riding in the car with the windows down, sunroof open singing, "Just like the white winged dove, sings a song, sounds like she singing ooo, ooo, ooo".....Then when it gets to the part that says, "He was no more than a baby then".... I stop singing, I think to myself, "Is Stevie taking about a 16 year old boy?"... Then I change the channel on the radio.  Now onto Politics.  Let me just say I can't make a sentence using the words Bi Partisan or Filabuster.  I also wasn't into politics until my 40's and my voting record is shoddy.  Let's leave it at that.  The End~

No comments:

Post a Comment